Keynote Digital Product Panel: How do airlines create end-to-end digital products and services that can compete with other industries?
At World Aviation Festival in October, a panel of specialists gathered to discuss ‘How do airlines create end-to-end digital products and services that can compete with other industries?’
The panel was chaired by Henry Harteveldt and included:
- Rogier Van Enk, SVP Customer Engagement, Finnair
- Mark Nasr, SVP Marketing, eCommerce, Products, Air Canada
- Kevin Macfarland, Managing Director, Digital Platforms & UX, American Airlines
- Kevin Clark, CEO, Bluebox Ltd
- Juliana Rios, Chief Information and Digital Officer, LATAM Airlines
- Robert Mulet, eCommerce and Ancillaries Director, Avianca
The well-rounded panel held a wide variety of perspectives, visions, and suggestions leading to thoughtful and fruitful discussion. Exploring digital product and digital passenger experience, one resounding message was: the basics still need work first.
Where discussion of digital products and services can often result in conversations around flashy extras and eye-catching new technology, the panel had a general consensus that the industry must focus on developing the basics. Improve, simplify, make seamless.
There was also conversation surrounding the extent to which digital experience defines the passenger experience now. The panel acknowledged that the companies setting public expectations are outside of the aviation sector and that these companies are rapidly accelerating customer expectations.
Other topics discussed include:
- Digital as a differentiator
- The pursuit of consistency
- Creating a seamless experience
- The service business
- Onboard retail
- What the future will look like
The panel discussion is 45 minutes long and is packed with a wealth of knowledge and ideas.