“Terminal in a Garden,” the airport terminal built on the key pillars of Technology and Sustainability. An interview with Hari Marar, MD & CEO, Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL)
Prior to Aviation Festival Asia, Hari Marar, MD & CEO, Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) shared his thoughts on the design and architecture of Terminal 2 (T2), the newly built terminal of the BLR Airport. Inspired by the city of Bengaluru’s reputation as “the garden city,” T2 which is popularly known as the ‘Terminal in a Garden” will cater to an additional 25 million passengers annually. With this additional capacity, the BLR Airport will play a crucial role in boosting the economic growth of the region and the country, by creating more opportunities for businesses in and around the airport.
T2 officially opened on Sunday morning with Star Air performing the inaugural flight.
Hari Marar shared his views on how technology is woven into every aspect of T2 to offer a simplified and seamless passenger experience. He poured light on the technological advancements integrated into the airport operations, and the launch of BLR Metaport which offers an immersive, 3D virtual experience of Terminal 2. With BIAL entering into the new world of Metaverse, it becomes easier to connect with a new generation of global audience. From checking into flights to navigating terminals, the BLR Metaport will open up new ways for customers to interact with the airport.
With several sustainability initiatives incorporated into the design aspects of the terminal, T2 is recognised as the largest terminal in the world to be pre-certified with a Platinum LEED rating by the US Green Building Council prior to commencing operations. Boasting fire retardant and long-lasting engineered bamboo, solar panels, multipurpose lagoons, sky lighting, and enhanced indoor air quality strategies implemented, Terminal 2 is designed and built to nurture a sustainable future.
Watch this engaging 25-minute interview with Hari Marar to learn more about how T2 uses technology and innovation to enhance its operations.
- Can you tell me a little bit about the four key pillars that terminal two is designed and built on, and how these elevate the customer experience?
- Could you tell me more about the design of T2, how does this strike the balance between culture and technology all while enhancing customer experience?
- How do you find technology making processes more efficient in the airport?
- Is technology well received in the region? Do you try to establish a balance between technology and automation on one hand and human interaction on the other?
- Could you tell me about the sustainability side of the terminal, how have you ensured a low carbon footprint and how does the design of the terminal take sustainability into account?
- What are you most looking forward to about Aviation Festival Asia?
Hari Marar will be giving a keynote interview at Aviation Festival Asia 2023 on how the design of T2 reflects the world’s biggest changes as a result of the pandemic.
Article by Jess Brownlow